Built in 1938 by the American Locomotive Company (ALCo), the Class E-4 Hudsons were meant to haul the Chicago & North Western Railroad's prestigious "400" trains. They were amongst the biggest Hudson type locomotives built; even larger than the New York Central's famous Hudsons. With six 84" drivers the Class E-4 was built for speed. The locomotives never had the chance to show their stuff on the "400" trains however as they were superseded by the new diesel locomotives that were coming into favor with railroads of the day. They did serve in grand fashion hauling other trains until they eventually were withdrawn from service in 1953. Sadly, all nine of the locomotives in the class met the scrapper's torch.