Built by the St Louis Car Company in 1941 for the Chicago, North Shore & Milwaukee Railroad, the streamlined Electroliner was one of the most luxurious trains in interurban service. They operated on electrified rails and traversed the elevated rail lines in downtown Chicago. Electroliners were capable of speeds in access of 110 MPH however, at that speed they reached road crossings before the gates were lowered so they were limited to 90 MPH in operation. The North Shore Line ceased operation in 1962. The train sets were sold to the Philadelphia Suburban Transportation Company where they operated until 1976 as "Liberty Liners". One Electroliner is preserved and operated at the Illinois Railway Museum.